The Golden Quill Society is a young alumni leadership program that
facilitates volunteer engagement and philanthropy among a select group
of young alumni. Mason Young Alumni (M.Y.A.) are our recent graduates who have completed a degree
from Mason within the past five years (Classes of 2012-16). Mason
Young Alumni are over 43,000 strong, and make up about 24 percent of our
over 178,000 total alumni.
Recruit, train, and support a core group of dedicated young
alumni that support George Mason through volunteer engagement
Facilitate a lifelong connection with the Alumni Association.
Who can apply?
- Graduating undergraduates and graduate students (May/August 2017 or December 2016)
- Mason Young Alumni (classes of 2013-16)
How long is my membership?
- Active Membership is determined based off of your class year. For example, incoming new members of the Class of 2017, would serve a five-year term because they would be classified as a Mason Young Alumnus/a for that length of time. A graduate from 2013 would serve a one-year term, since eligibility in the M.Y.A. constituency is only for one more year.
Once selected, what are my membership requirements/responsibilities?
- Attend bi-monthly meetings (every other month; in person or via phone/video conference call)
- Be involved in at least one (1) of our four committees: Advocacy, Communications, Membership, and Programming
- Participate in initiatives related to engagement or philanthropy throughout the year (ex. Happy Birthday, George! event)
- Give to Mason, as able. While giving is not required, members are highly encouraged to make a contribution, especially during times of a campaign, to Mason. Gifts can be of any amount, at any frequency and to any fund ($5/year or more to the Mason School of Dance/College Visual and Performing Arts)
Access our application here. Deadline to apply for 2017 is Monday, Mar. 13 at 11:59 p.m. EST.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I don’t know my post-graduation plans?
That’s okay! We know it can be challenging to think about applying to the Golden Quill Society if you’re not certain of your professional or personal plans beyond graduation. However, this is not a requirement for eligibility! Being part of the Golden Quill Society gives you access to a network of Mason Young Alumni in various fields that are ready and willing to help you in any way possible.
What if I know I’m moving outside the DC area after graduation?
Fantastic! Mason needs strong volunteer leaders outside the D.C. area to help us keep the Mason Nation engaged no matter the location.
When will I be notified if I’ve been accepted?
A current member of the Golden Quill Society will call you on or before March 25 if you have been accepted.
Do we receive any special recognition?
Yes. All members are inducted at our special ceremony prior to our annual Celebration of Distinction event in the spring. New members will receive a commemorative lapel pin to wear on their graduation robes and at official university functions you attend as an alumnus/a.
What is the meaning of “personally significant”?
Personally significant describes the level of importance or involvement you assign to anything you choose to do. Making a personally significant gift to Mason means you give what you can, when you can, to what you think is important. Personally significant volunteering means you do what you can, when you can, for what you think is important.
Nominate Someone to be a Quill
Do you know of a current Mason senior/graduating student OR a Mason Young Alumnus(a) who would be a great addition to the Golden Quill Society? Nominate them today!
Extended Deadline to submit nominations is Monday, March 6. Nominees will be notified and encouraged to apply by March 13.