For more than 30 years, the Alumni Association has recognized outstanding alumni, students, and faculty during its awards banquet, the Celebration of Distinction, held annually in spring. Through nominations, the Alumni Association selects and recognizes an Alumnus or Alumna of the Year, a Faculty Member of the Year, an Alumni Service Award winner, and presents one Senior of the Year.
The nomination requirements include:
- Resume and/or biography of the nominee
- Nominating statement that addresses the specified criteria (Nominating statements should be no more than two pages typewritten.)
- A maximum of three supporting letters for each nomination
- Current members of the George Mason Alumni Association board of directors are ineligible for the award, and previous recipients are not eligible for the same award.
- Call for nomintions will begin September 1st.
Congratulations to all the 2013 award winners!
Alumnus/Alumna of the Year Award
The Alumnus/Alumna of the Year Award is the most prestigious honor given by the Alumni Association. First given in 1976, the award is presented annually to alumni who exemplify the distinguished success of a George Mason University degree through their professional and personal achievements. Learn about past award recipients.
Faculty Member of the Year Award
Each year, the Alumni Association recognizes one distinguished faculty member who exemplifies a commitment to scholarship, teaching, and service. Nominations are encouraged from students, alumni, and the campus community. Learn about past award recipients.
Alumni Service Award
The Alumni Service Award was established in 1989 and is given annually to an alumnus or alumna of George Mason University in recognition of his or her continuous and exceptional service to the university and the community at large. Learn about past award recipients.
Senior of the Year Award
The only student award presented by the Alumni Association, the Senior of the Year Award recognizes outstanding achievements and contributions to the university and community by a George Mason University senior. View the list of past recipients.